Users said they want a console that does every-thing a traditional console does, yet operates on a network. Scout delivers this functionality today, and through active product development and customer feedback, new enhancements are continually incorporated into the feature set.
Scout is Avtec’s 4th Generation console product, and was designed for a 10+ year lifecycle in mission-critical environments. Instead of using inferior and difficult to support PC sound cards, Scout provides a dedicated Media Workstation with it’s own Ethernet connection and rugged peripherals. This allows customers the option to furnish standard PC’s and benefit from reduced life-cycle support costs.
Radio, Telephony, and I/O integration are supported via VPGate; multiple technologies such as MPT1327, MOTOTRBO, P25 (DFSI and CSSI), iDEN, NXDN, and SIP can connect simultaneously. Furthermore, VPGate is N+1 redundant so there are no single points of failure to your critical communications assets. Non-VoIP capable radios can be connected with Avtec’s Outpost, which allows advanced control of many radios through a serial port.
Avtec Scout Overview
A Scout system consists of Console positions, a LAN/WAN, VPGates, and endpoints. Endpoints are generally Avtec’s Outpost Radio controller and SIP telephony extensions.
Outpost is a full featured Radio over IP Endpoint designed and manufactured by Avtec. It incorporates 20 years of base station controller experience gained in mission critical Airline and Railroad operations. This flexible Endpoint interfaces analog two-way radios to an Ethernet network for audio transport and remote control via Avtec’s VPGate product.
Other Scout features
- IP-based inputs and outputs – Scout supports Avtec’s IP-based Input and Output Cards. This allows the Scout console to control relays as well as monitor inputs located anywhere on the LAN/WAN network (door controls, light controls, generator control, power and generator indication, etc.).
- MDC-1200 compatibility – the Avtec Outpost radio gateway supports encoding and decoding of Motorola’s MDC-1200 signaling.
- Integration to your IP phone system – VPGate supports SIP telephony integration, enabling the dispatcher make and receive calls routed through your existing IP PBX.
- Completely customizable GUI – the Avtec Scout user interface is completely customizable to your dispatching needs. It supports multiple pages, imported graphics, tabs, etc.
- Live system updates – when changes are made to the console interface, updates are automatically pushed to the consoles on the network.
- Built-in N+1 redundancy – VPGate is N+1 redundant so there are no single points of failure to your critical communications assets.
- Multiple radio technologies supported – P25 (DFSI and CSSI), MOTOTRBO, MPT1327, iDEN, NXDN, legacy analog radios (E&M, 2 & 4-wire, etc.).